Main Campus and Centennial Campus
The Main Campus of the University covers about 14 hectares of land in the Bonham Road and Pokfulam area of Hong Kong Island and accommodates five of the ten faculties, namely Architecture, Business and Economics, Education, Engineering and Science, as well as the Main Library.
Diversity of architectural styles is one of the greatest features of the Main Campus, having evolved since 1912. Besides different architectural styles, the hilly terrain in Pokfulam provides a unique landscape for the Main Campus which has many popular gardens and courtyards that contribute to the collective memory of our alumni. Floral diversity is also one of the features of the University gardens, which makes HKU a scenic spot in the blossoming seasons.
A major building programme which began in the 1970s had seen the construction of many modern buildings on the Main Campus, balancing between conservation and development. These buildings stand adjacent to several retained older buildings (including the original Main Building dated from 1912) which have been preserved because of their historic and architectural merits.
To cope with the additional student numbers due to the new four-year university curriculum which began in 2012, the University had completed the Centennial Campus, immediately to the west of the Main Campus.
The planning of Centennial Campus was guided by 4 Campus Planning Principles:
- The Learning Community
- The Environment and Heritage – Our Responsibility
- The Unified Campus
- The Process: Open and Respected
The new Centennial Campus development, located against an attractive backdrop of tree-clad hillsides, is served by a Mass Transit Railway (MTR) station and provides academic buildings, recreational facilities and other modern amenities. It houses the Faculties of Arts, Social Sciences and Law, with a state-of-the-art learning commons, a Grand Hall, together with teaching and learning spaces.
For further information on the Centennial Campus development, please visit http://www4.hku.hk/cecampus/eng/.
Sassoon Road Campus
The Sassoon Road Campus is located in Pokfulam, at the western end of the Hong Kong Island, about three kilometres to the southwest of the Main Campus.
The Sassoon Road Campus is connected to the Queen Mary Hospital (QMH) by a pedestrian linkbridge across Pokfulam Road. Clinical teaching facilities for the Faculty of Medicine are based in the QMH which is one of the University's teaching hospitals. Pre-clinical teaching facilities and library services are close by at the Faculty building at 21 Sassoon Road.
The Campus has different academic and services support buildings and enjoys a scenic view towards the Lamma Channel. On both sides of Sassoon Road, there are other University premises including the Patrick Manson Building, Pauline Chan Building, Estates Building, Dexter HC Man Building and Laboratory Animal Unit (LAU). The majority of spaces in these buildings are being occupied by various departments of the Faculty of Medicine such as the School of Chinese Medicine, School of Public Health and LAU.
The Jockey Club Building for Inter-disciplinary Research opened in 2011 houses the multi-disciplinary research activities for the betterment of human health and welfare.
Other HKU Premises
Besides the two major campuses, HKU also has premises in other places in Hong Kong serving different teaching and research purposes.
The Faculty of Dentistry has its clinical teaching facilities and library services in the Prince Philip Dental Hospital in Sai Ying Pun, a short distance to the north of the Main Campus.
Other parts of the University's premises include the Kadoorie Centre at Shek Kong which occupies about 10 hectares of land in the New Territories, and the Swire Institute of Marine Sciences at Cape d’Aguilar on the southern coast of Hong Kong Island.